It is a strong and stiff thermoplastic material that is often used in applications where performance at high temperatures is required. PEEK has outstanding chemical resistance as well as resistance to hot water and steam. PEEK is insoluble in all common solvents and is extremely resistant to attack by a very wide range of organic and inorganic chemicals. PEEK can be used continuously to 250°C (for short term, it can operate at 300°C) and in hot water or steam without permanent loss in physical properties. It also has high abrasion and cut through resistance combined with low coefficient of friction. So it is used a lot in sliding applications such as bearing, guide, etc. Unlike Polyamide or Nylon, PEEK has excellent hydrolysis resistance. It has very low moisture absorption.
Applications: Gears, wear strips, bushes, metering pumps, pump housings, light mountings, friction bearings, ball valve seals, wafer supports, plug parts.
PEEK is naturally tan in color and can be pigmented with a wide range of colors, allowing for easy part identification.
- Excellent chemical resistance
- Very low moisture absorption
- Inherently good wear and abrasion resistance
- Unaffected by continuous exposure to hot water or steam. Very good hydrolysis resistant, even against super heated steam
- Very good dimensional stability
- High thermal mechanical bearing strength
- Creep resistant
- Low smoke and toxic gas emissions.
- Excellent resistance against high energy radiation. Absorbing more than 1000 M rads of irradiation with no significant reduction in mechanical properties