Engineering-grade nylon is processed by extrusion, casting, and injection molding. Nylon price is approximately 2 times of the price of POM (Polyacetal). Working temperature when using Nylon should be within - 50oC to 160oC. Nylons are available in various colors such as white, blue, black, etc. One important property of Nylon that should be noted when use it to make machine components is moisture absorption. Moisture has significant effect on properties of Nylon. It may change in size which may cause problems.
Notable material features:
- Very good physical properties. High tensile strength and modulus of elasticity
- High impact resistance, a high heat distortion temperature. Very good heat resistance.
- Excellent wear resistance. Resists wear, abrasion, and vibration
- Excellent chemical resistance. Can withstand contact with chemicals, alkalies, dilute acids or oxidizing agents.
- Nylon is NOT moisture Resistant. Moisture has significant effect on properties.
- Moderate to high price
- Fair to easy processing
- Electrical connectors
- Gear, slide, cams and bearings
- Cable ties and film packaging
- Fluid reservoirs
- Automotive oil pans